Thursday, January 7, 2010

Hands on 27" iMac from a Windows Convert!

Hello all,

I come from a Windows Background. Been using the Windows all my life. Hated Mac users, thought they were just spoilt rich kids paying over the roof for something you would get cheaper in the PC world.

Then i got fed up of my home built Quad core , 8 GB machine. It was a powerful system , by every time i tried to edit a large sized movie, it would hang on me. And i always kept my windows in tip top shape with optimizing and cleaning weekly. So i realized what good is a high end computer, when it wouldn't let me do multimedia editing. I had NEVER moved the mouse on an OSX, But i still decided to sell and get a Mac. It would give me a chance to explore OSX and prove my point that Mac is NOT superior to Windows.






So i bought this beauty.


Enlarge
27" Apple iMac

One word A.W.E.S.O.M.E!!!

Once i unboxed the machine, i was blown away by the build quality of the machine. its all Aluminum, it smelt so good!

It was large , much larger than my 22" HP monitor. And when i powered it up, i went through the intro video and just stared at the screen for a brief moment in disbelief at the beautiful quality and picture. I then realized what i junk monitor i was using before.

So after using this baby for 2 weeks now, i decided to write my views and hands on from a complete newbie in terms of Mac/OSX.

I LIKE

1.The Screen, The Screen, and….The Screen

2. I can do anything with it from the word go, manage my photos, view pdf, back up, edit movies etc etc . All from the start , without any installs.

3. I love the Magic Mouse, with the BetterTouchTool, its made the mouse amazing. I have fairly large hands, and i don't find it inconvenient.

4. The table is so clutter free, i come from a PC which had wires all around on the table.

5. i salute the person who had the idea of Time Machine. Its like a baby can recover their files in an instant.

6. I really enjoy Front Row, i had been using my mouse on my lap whenever i wanted to watch a movie on a PC, and go to the desktop every time i wanted to change a movie. With front row and the apple remote. Its click click!

7. The System Preferences is very well arranged, it didn't take me long to master all the settings i could change. Its not like Control Panel, where you have to move around to find a particular setting.

8. Expose + Magic Mouse = Time saved. Its so easy, tap 2 fingers and u have all your open windows.

9. Spaces = i never agreed to the idea of different desktops when i was in windows, i always closed the windows when wanted to do something else. Space is a new thing, and i am starting to use it more often

10. Hardware and Software from the same company, means no driver issues. In windows after a clean install, id have to waste time installing drivers.

11. I can run windows for whenever i need to use some programs made for win. Nice!

12. Its really easy to install applications.

13. Boots and Shuts down so fast.

I DONT LIKE

1. The Finder doesn't allow cut / paste? WHY? - I know Pathfinder, but im still talking about the OSX built in softwares!

2. The Finder doesn't let me view my Documents folder in a layout where the Folders on top with order and the files below with order.

3. iPhoto, why doesn't iphoto have better folder management of pictures?

4. Why cant i have favicons in bookmarks bar in safari.

5. Applications don't close them when i close them. Im not stupid, when i say closed…CLOSE it please!

6. Why cant i open a text file on the desktop, i have got so accustomed to this feature in windows. I use it very often.

7. When i open a picture in Preview, i cannot see the other pictures in the folder by clicking next, i have to open another picture manually. Seriously???

I guess so far this is it….


To those who are reading this article and thinking of converting to the Mac Side, take the jump. And you wont regret it. 

You definitely get , what you pay for.

Thankfully i have not got a cracked screen, noisy HDD or screen flickering. I cant seem to notice any yellow tinge, and i will not run any tests on it to find it either.


"You cant go looking at flaws on your honeymoon right?"

1 comment: